An Enemy Rush

Friday, March 30, 2007

      post #8595167049255344712

This morning was our first morning practice in preparation for SYF 07. The sound was quite good, didn't really expected it, because I thought in the morning everyone would be sleepy. So I had to skip breakfast because after morning practice we had to go back to class already.

During recess I spammed myself with food, because immediately after school I did a practice with some altos to attempt to correct some pitching mistakes as well as try to raise their volume and then immediately after that I did practice with quite a lot of tenors and basses to correct their pitching problem on the first 2 pages of Credo. I was having quite a difficult time doing that because the pitching was seriously quite off, after mixing them up to stand in a position whereby there is nobody of the same section beside them. In the end I dismissed them around 15 to 30 minutes later than the time I expected them to be dismissed.

Looks like it's less than 20 days to SYF, after which, and maybe after 1 or 2 more practices, it would be handover, officially. I just hope that within these few days I can help the choir as much as I can, not just for SYF, but maybe for their Pattaya competition and their future performances as well. I hope I can share with them all the singing techniques that I've acquired over more than 3 years.

And something which I ponder about often is that whether the choir appreciates what I am doing for them. Every time a practice ends, irregardless of whether it is just a normal practice or an extra one, I don't really find anyone thanking me. Same as for the SLs, I think no one thank their SLs as well. Maybe the choir thinks that we are Committee Members and we are supposed to help them, so if their singing is bad, it's our fault, and that we are supposed to help them correct their mistakes. Or maybe it's because we aren't helpful enough and what we are doing aren't doing any good to the choir at all. The only person who thanks me is probably Jonathan, who most of the time disagrees with me on certain issues but gives in to me anyway, which I don't really like.

Being an SC is really very difficult, especially if you are in a top choir. Aditya (classmate) made a passing remark that I am actually the SC of a top choir. So what? Great power comes great responsibilities. And I am not even sure whether we are achieving our target of maintaining the top choir in Singapore or not. During the handover last year, I made a promise to the choir that we will be the top choir in Singapore. Do I really have to take back my promise, or rather not fulfill it?

Labels:

0 Comments:

<< Home