An Enemy Rush

Friday, March 23, 2007

      post #156370970729713215

Yesterday Mr Kwei went for balloting exercise to decide our slot for SYF. Later in the evening, Miss Lau smsed me and told me ours is on the first day, which is on the 17th of April -- 1 week earlier than what I have predicted -- and ours is in the afternoon, around 2pm plus. So I thought, nothing much, first day is probably better anyway.

Then this morning, while I was walking with Gabriel Chee (Band Major) to class from PE, I saw Ms Lau, and she told me that schools performing on the first day (same day as us) include Catholic High, River Valley High etc. I didn't really hear the others, because "Catholic High" alone attracted 100% of my attention away. Catholic High is the first choir of the day, which is also the first choir of the whole SYF competition for secondary school choirs.

This is quite bad, because we are competing with them on that day and awards will be announced at the end of the day. It won't be as though it would be announced only after the whole competition, no. Now with Catholic High face-to-face with us, it's going to be more difficult to obtain the top choir in Singapore, even though they are slot number 1 and we're number 14.

I have actually lost some hope on the choir already, but nonetheless (apologies for contradicting) I still have hope. I still want to prove that this batch of committee members can lead this unique batch of choir members all the way to be the top choir in Singapore once again. Problem now is that I have hope, I WANT to, but there are many people in choir who don't seem to share this vision alongside with me. Wei Liang doesn't seem to be serious in his work, SLs not drilling hard enough on the members, members themselves not paying the attention. So what if I have all the musicality in me, ready to share with the choir in order to produce good music? I can't possibility do that without their focus anyway. And back to the SLs, they may not know, but during combines it's very difficult for me to tackle all the basic problems the sections make. For example, if the Sopranos lack support, if the Tenors can't reach their high notes. If I am doing this all the time, 1) we cannot improve at all because I have to go back to the basics, wasting other sections' time when they aren't the ones making the mistake, 2) I cannot start on the musicality at all, which is so called the higher level sort of the music, and 3) I can't really listen out to so many mistakes regarding the BASICS, which is SUPPOSED to be tackled during sectionals, and this makes me even more frustrated in taking the combines. For example, Altos are too soft, not enough projection... how would I be able to proceed to some musicality (eg: give waves at this particular bar)? Or if basses lack concentration, because this problem was not solved during sectionals, I would have to ask them to focus (and not as though they can remain focus for a long time) and waste a lot of time of that.

Perhaps I may be wrong in these, perhaps I have left out some issues which cannot be tackled so easily anyway. I hope especially SLs can give me some feedback about this.

Today as I was walking back to school after PE, I chatted with Gabriel regarding SYF. Theirs is on the 9th of April (and CO's on the 3rd, which is very close already). He mentioned that they are trying to get as many members into SYF as possible, because even though they may be quality in the sound produced, 1) there would be a lack in volume, 2) what is VS CB for? A club whereby only good members can go SYF? I found what he said really very meaningful. Use it on VSChoir: if we get say 40+ people for SYF only -- now we don't talk about the volume -- the quality of sound may improve, and we may easily get our Top Choir in Singapore, no doubt, but thing is, VSChoir is still a CCA, and what's the point of having a VSChoir when only the good members go? What's the point of getting Top Choir when only the good singers go? Is it still a CCA anymore? Joining SYF and competing in it is an experience I think everyone in choir should have. Now I also understands fully why Mr Kwei allow the PRC Scholars to join SYF even though some of them may not be very good: it's an experience for them. Of course we cannot allow all members to attend SYF because of the limit (80 people), and because we really have to remove those singers who can't sing well, and may lead to the downfall of the choir very greatly, but other than that, the SYF team should have as many people as possible.

I hope things can progress smoothly from now until SYF, and by smoothly I mean improving gradually. Now as I look back at the past practices, I realised we have been slacking a lot, and now it's time to really buck up.

Anyway, good luck to the VSCO and VSCB for their upcoming SYF. Get Gold w/ Honours, where we can give a heartening speech on stage because all the spotlights are on the Sports CCAs.

Labels:

0 Comments:

<< Home