An Enemy Rush

Saturday, November 04, 2006

      post #4233259970602754013

Busily preparing for the 14th-November choral workshop. We're the last item for that day, and we might combine with AJChoir some songs, not very sure.

Today's practice was, I would say, better than Thursday's. Somehow after the exam break, I had a slight break-through and know how I can improve practices, as compared to practices before. Haha. I am somehow more optimistic during each practice, probably because I have thought over and over again the aims of VSChoir.

I've realised that the jump from being a Section Leader (sec 2 to sec 3) to a Student Conductor (currently) is very big. I had always thought that the SC is just another SL, just that instead of taking just a section, it's about taking the whole choir. But well, not really. Being an SC, besides having to correct each SL's mistakes during sectionals, I also have to take care of the well-being of the choir. So if a section screws up let's say during a performance, the whole choir will naturally screw up as well. So other than the SC, who is to be blamed? As for SLs, it might or might not be their fault, they'll probably only get told off by me.

When I was an SL, I didn't really care about how my section would sound in a choir - I just merely made sure that their notes were okay and dynamics observed. The rest should be left to the SC. But I was wrong. Now I noticed that most of the SLs are like me last time, and that I have many things to do during combines which can be done during sectionals by the SLs. Things like the tone and expressions can be done and rectified during sectionals.

So, it's easier to be an SL rather then to be an SC, right? Yes and no. Say, if the SLs work very hard such that during combines it's perfect, because each member knows their parts and stuffs like that, then being an SC is easier.

Sometimes I feel that I am very enthu in choir. I'm not sure whether that's how others think of me, and whether I am right to feel that way. Reason is because VSChoir is (unofficially) the top secondary school choir in Singapore as of 2005, because we scored the highest marks during SYF. It looks like I am responsible for the upcoming SYF. I can't imagine what the seniors would do if they hear that the choir didn't do very well for the competition... it's like VSChoir is good all along, there's no way our standards should drop.

Dunno why suddenly feel so emo. Maybe I just want to update my blog a little.

Labels:

0 Comments:

<< Home